What is involved in Service Level Agreement
Find out what the related areas are that Service Level Agreement connects with, associates with, correlates with or affects, and which require thought, deliberation, analysis, review and discussion. This unique checklist stands out in a sense that it is not per-se designed to give answers, but to engage the reader and lay out a Service Level Agreement thinking-frame.
How far is your company on its Service Level Agreement journey?
Take this short survey to gauge your organization’s progress toward Service Level Agreement leadership. Learn your strongest and weakest areas, and what you can do now to create a strategy that delivers results.
To address the criteria in this checklist for your organization, extensive selected resources are provided for sources of further research and information.
Start the Checklist
Below you will find a quick checklist designed to help you think about which Service Level Agreement related domains to cover and 179 essential critical questions to check off in that domain.
The following domains are covered:
Service Level Agreement, Service-level agreement, Call center, Carrier Cloud, Cloud computing, Dedicated servers, IT Service Management, IT cost transparency, Incumbent local exchange carrier, Information Technology Infrastructure Library, Internet service provider, Local area network, Maintenance window, Mean time between failures, Mean time to recovery, Mean time to repair, Network monitoring, Network service provider, Operational-level agreement, Outsourcing relationship management, Performance metrics, Service-oriented architecture, Service Desk, Service level, Service level management, Service level objective, Service level requirement, Shared hosting, Software quality, Telecommunications Act of 1996, Telephone company, Turnaround time, Virtual private server, Web service:
Service Level Agreement Critical Criteria:
Chat re Service Level Agreement decisions and explain and analyze the challenges of Service Level Agreement.
– What is the impact of changing my suppliers and/or their SLAs on my capabilities to meet my SLAs?
– Who are the key service provider and customer contacts (name, phone number, email address)?
– Why are Service Level Agreements a dying breed in the software as a service industry?
– Does the provider offer any form of Service Level Agreement (SLA) guarantees?
– Is your firm willing to commit to Service Level Agreements?
– Does Service Level Agreement appropriately measure and monitor risk?
– Availability of a machine, service, particular operation?
– Do we have Data Protection Service Level Agreements?
– what is an sla in the context of a website or company?
– What Support/applications are included in this SLA?
– How will incidents be documented or logged?
– What PMO services are included in this SLA?
– How many copies must be off-line?
– What services are NOT included?
– What systems are supported?
– What is Data Protection?
– What is Out of Scope?
– Where is the data?
– What is In Scope?
Service-level agreement Critical Criteria:
Adapt Service-level agreement results and report on developing an effective Service-level agreement strategy.
– What are your current levels and trends in key measures or indicators of Service Level Agreement product and process performance that are important to and directly serve your customers? how do these results compare with the performance of your competitors and other organizations with similar offerings?
– In terms of service availability, can you get your vendor to sign a service-level agreement?
– Is Service Level Agreement Required?
Call center Critical Criteria:
Prioritize Call center risks and budget the knowledge transfer for any interested in Call center.
– What proportion of Customer Service calls chats could present day AI technology resolve without assistance in principle?
– What are the success criteria that will indicate that Service Level Agreement objectives have been met and the benefits delivered?
– What is the average supervisor to Customer Service representative ratio for a fixed route call center?
– What other jobs or tasks affect the performance of the steps in the Service Level Agreement process?
– What is the best virtual hosted PBX platform to use for our phone Customer Service team?
– What are good examples of us utilizing SMS as a Customer Service mechanism?
– Have you integrated your call center telephony to your crm application?
– What are the issues of scaling Twitter for Customer Service?
– What are the pros and cons of outsourcing Customer Service?
– How do companies apply social media to Customer Service?
– Is social media the solution to bad Customer Service?
– Why is Service Level Agreement important for you now?
– Is Twitter an effective Customer Service tool?
Carrier Cloud Critical Criteria:
Learn from Carrier Cloud decisions and raise human resource and employment practices for Carrier Cloud.
– Can we add value to the current Service Level Agreement decision-making process (largely qualitative) by incorporating uncertainty modeling (more quantitative)?
– What sources do you use to gather information for a Service Level Agreement study?
– Why are Service Level Agreement skills important?
Cloud computing Critical Criteria:
Review Cloud computing goals and catalog Cloud computing activities.
– Another critical success factor is that appropriate governance needs to be in place. That is, is an appropriate organizational structure in place to manage the organization facing the cloud computing solution?
– How will you exercise control over the data within the cloud to ensure that the data are available and that confidentiality and integrity of the data remain protected?
– Time to market improvements. Will the move to cloud computing shorten the time it takes to deliver functional enhancements to end users?
– Change in technology and prices over time: what will billing units be like for the higher-level virtualization clouds?
– What does it take to become a cloud computing provider, and why would a company consider becoming one?
– How should we report on the geographic location (street address) for cloud computing solutions?
– Aare there recommended best practices to help us decide whether they should move to the cloud?
– What is the future scope for combination of Business Intelligence and Cloud Computing?
– How can cloud stakeholders ensure and promote the security of Cloud computing?
– What are the challenges related to cloud computing data security?
– What is the importance of standards-based cloud computing?
– How is cloud computing shaping enterprise communications?
– What are reasons to say no to cloud computing?
– Defining terms: what is a cloud platform?
– How energy efficient is cloud computing?
– Will cloud computing always lower costs?
– Fedramp approved / compliant?
– What is grid computing?
Dedicated servers Critical Criteria:
Own Dedicated servers goals and transcribe Dedicated servers as tomorrows backbone for success.
– What tools do you use once you have decided on a Service Level Agreement strategy and more importantly how do you choose?
– What potential environmental factors impact the Service Level Agreement effort?
– What are all of our Service Level Agreement domains and what do they do?
IT Service Management Critical Criteria:
Deliberate IT Service Management goals and tour deciding if IT Service Management progress is made.
– So you have designed a great process, have invested in a slick itsm tool and paid your consultants for the best advice you could purchase. What makes you think anyone is actually going to follow the new processes after you close up the project and take down the posters?
– Can cloud service providers offer the flexibility to provide availability service levels in line with the customers requirements?
– How can you negotiate Service Level Agreement successfully with a stubborn boss, an irate client, or a deceitful coworker?
– Why do many organizations stumble or fail in their initial attempts at implementing itsm practices?
– What challenges and opportunities does cloud computing present for IT service management ?
– What does each software asset cost now and throughout the upgrade or refresh cycles?
– What are the best practices in knowledge management for IT Service management ITSM?
– What does each software asset cost now and throughout the upgrade/refresh cycles?
– Does the current environment support the business and functional requirements?
– Are you running your service desk or is your service desk running you?
– What services are published in your organizations service catalog?
– What best practices are relevant to your itsm initiative?
– Why is cloud computing important?
– does not soa solve these problems?
– Where does the data reside?
– Are we over licensed?
– How is it integrated?
– what is next?
IT cost transparency Critical Criteria:
Use past IT cost transparency governance and handle a jump-start course to IT cost transparency.
– What management system can we use to leverage the Service Level Agreement experience, ideas, and concerns of the people closest to the work to be done?
– Does Service Level Agreement analysis isolate the fundamental causes of problems?
– Are assumptions made in Service Level Agreement stated explicitly?
Incumbent local exchange carrier Critical Criteria:
Model after Incumbent local exchange carrier planning and clarify ways to gain access to competitive Incumbent local exchange carrier services.
– Do several people in different organizational units assist with the Service Level Agreement process?
– Do we monitor the Service Level Agreement decisions made and fine tune them as they evolve?
Information Technology Infrastructure Library Critical Criteria:
Tête-à-tête about Information Technology Infrastructure Library quality and maintain Information Technology Infrastructure Library for success.
– What will be the consequences to the business (financial, reputation etc) if Service Level Agreement does not go ahead or fails to deliver the objectives?
– Why is it important to have senior management support for a Service Level Agreement project?
– What are the business goals Service Level Agreement is aiming to achieve?
Internet service provider Critical Criteria:
Air ideas re Internet service provider failures and remodel and develop an effective Internet service provider strategy.
– What are the disruptive Service Level Agreement technologies that enable our organization to radically change our business processes?
– Who will provide the final approval of Service Level Agreement deliverables?
Local area network Critical Criteria:
Contribute to Local area network tactics and explain and analyze the challenges of Local area network.
– A virtual local area network (vlan) is a physical grouping of network devices within a larger network. true or false?
– What role does communication play in the success or failure of a Service Level Agreement project?
– What business benefits will Service Level Agreement goals deliver if achieved?
Maintenance window Critical Criteria:
Paraphrase Maintenance window tasks and forecast involvement of future Maintenance window projects in development.
– Are there any disadvantages to implementing Service Level Agreement? There might be some that are less obvious?
– What are our needs in relation to Service Level Agreement skills, labor, equipment, and markets?
Mean time between failures Critical Criteria:
Sort Mean time between failures outcomes and perfect Mean time between failures conflict management.
– What other organizational variables, such as reward systems or communication systems, affect the performance of this Service Level Agreement process?
– Risk factors: what are the characteristics of Service Level Agreement that make it risky?
Mean time to recovery Critical Criteria:
Deliberate Mean time to recovery strategies and question.
– what is the best design framework for Service Level Agreement organization now that, in a post industrial-age if the top-down, command and control model is no longer relevant?
– Among the Service Level Agreement product and service cost to be estimated, which is considered hardest to estimate?
– How do we Identify specific Service Level Agreement investment and emerging trends?
Mean time to repair Critical Criteria:
Be clear about Mean time to repair adoptions and clarify ways to gain access to competitive Mean time to repair services.
– How does the organization define, manage, and improve its Service Level Agreement processes?
– Does our organization need more Service Level Agreement education?
– How do we Lead with Service Level Agreement in Mind?
Network monitoring Critical Criteria:
Check Network monitoring results and change contexts.
– Are there Service Level Agreement problems defined?
Network service provider Critical Criteria:
X-ray Network service provider leadership and inform on and uncover unspoken needs and breakthrough Network service provider results.
– Think about the people you identified for your Service Level Agreement project and the project responsibilities you would assign to them. what kind of training do you think they would need to perform these responsibilities effectively?
– How do we measure improved Service Level Agreement service perception, and satisfaction?
Operational-level agreement Critical Criteria:
Talk about Operational-level agreement decisions and assess what counts with Operational-level agreement that we are not counting.
– What are our best practices for minimizing Service Level Agreement project risk, while demonstrating incremental value and quick wins throughout the Service Level Agreement project lifecycle?
– How do we know that any Service Level Agreement analysis is complete and comprehensive?
– Is there any existing Service Level Agreement governance structure?
Outsourcing relationship management Critical Criteria:
Shape Outsourcing relationship management governance and point out Outsourcing relationship management tensions in leadership.
– How do we Improve Service Level Agreement service perception, and satisfaction?
– How do we go about Comparing Service Level Agreement approaches/solutions?
Performance metrics Critical Criteria:
Probe Performance metrics adoptions and correct Performance metrics management by competencies.
– Does your company have defined information technology risk performance metrics that are monitored and reported to management on a regular basis?
– Have you defined IT risk performance metrics that are monitored and reported?
– What is the purpose of Service Level Agreement in relation to the mission?
– What about Service Level Agreement Analysis of results?
Service-oriented architecture Critical Criteria:
Map Service-oriented architecture failures and define what our big hairy audacious Service-oriented architecture goal is.
– What tools and technologies are needed for a custom Service Level Agreement project?
Service Desk Critical Criteria:
Be responsible for Service Desk issues and oversee Service Desk management by competencies.
– Will we be eligible for ISOIEC 20000 certification, even if our Service Desk, infrastructure management and applications management functions are located in different countries?
– Why is Customer Service and helpdesks so undervalued given that this is a core part of branding and growth i e The head of the Service Desk is not a CxO level title?
– Is the Service Level Agreement organization completing tasks effectively and efficiently?
– Does the service provider have a service desk function based on itil principles?
– How does mobility improve your organizations service desk effectiveness?
– Does the service provider have a service desk function based on ITIL principles?
– Is the cloud service providers service desk local, onshore or offshore?
– Are You Running Your Service Desk or is Your Service Desk Running You?
– What are valid performance indicators for the service desk?
– Why a service desk?
Service level Critical Criteria:
Refer to Service level goals and gather Service level models .
– Do you really care about the Service Level Agreement sla of your underlying cloud platform paas or iaas?
– How will the SLA be terminated if either party wants to terminate either for cause or for convenience?
– Are the contracts with vendors current, and does it include and appropriate Service Level Agreements?
– What kinds of applications are expected or legally required to offer a sla Service Level Agreement?
– What are the key business and technical challenges of transitioning to a cloud computing strategy?
– What are standard financial penalties for violating downtime in a Service Level Agreement?
– Are abandons included in your service level denominator?
– What is the purpose of a IT Service Level Agreement?
– What services are NOT included in this SLA?
– What is the retention period of the data?
– Who is accountable for service delivery?
– What quality standards already exist?
– What will it take to make it work?
– What will the project do?
– What to optimise for?
Service level management Critical Criteria:
Disseminate Service level management quality and get out your magnifying glass.
– Meeting the challenge: are missed Service Level Agreement opportunities costing us money?
Service level objective Critical Criteria:
Think carefully about Service level objective failures and point out Service level objective tensions in leadership.
– Which management activity ensures adequate availability of resources based on a service level objective?
– Do we all define Service Level Agreement in the same way?
– Why should we adopt a Service Level Agreement framework?
Service level requirement Critical Criteria:
Substantiate Service level requirement goals and document what potential Service level requirement megatrends could make our business model obsolete.
– What is our Service Level Agreement Strategy?
Shared hosting Critical Criteria:
Survey Shared hosting leadership and cater for concise Shared hosting education.
– Who are the people involved in developing and implementing Service Level Agreement?
– How will you know that the Service Level Agreement project has been successful?
Software quality Critical Criteria:
Canvass Software quality quality and get answers.
– Does the software Quality Assurance function have a management reporting channel separate from the software development project management?
– Are software Quality Assurance tests a part of the general hardware acceptance test on the customers machine before it leaves the factory?
– Do software Quality Assurance test programs undergo the same production cycle and method (except q/a) as the software they test?
– Is software Quality Assurance done by an independently reporting agency representing the interests of the eventual user?
– What are the best practices for software quality assurance when using agile development methodologies?
– Is at least one person engaged in software Quality Assurance for every ten engaged in its fabrication?
– The need for high-quality software is glaring. But what constitutes software quality?
– Are we Assessing Service Level Agreement and Risk?
Telecommunications Act of 1996 Critical Criteria:
Reason over Telecommunications Act of 1996 risks and balance specific methods for improving Telecommunications Act of 1996 results.
– How can we incorporate support to ensure safe and effective use of Service Level Agreement into the services that we provide?
– Are we making progress? and are we making progress as Service Level Agreement leaders?
– How would one define Service Level Agreement leadership?
Telephone company Critical Criteria:
Add value to Telephone company quality and display thorough understanding of the Telephone company process.
– Do we cover the five essential competencies-Communication, Collaboration,Innovation, Adaptability, and Leadership that improve an organizations ability to leverage the new Service Level Agreement in a volatile global economy?
Turnaround time Critical Criteria:
Participate in Turnaround time engagements and check on ways to get started with Turnaround time.
Virtual private server Critical Criteria:
Set goals for Virtual private server results and report on developing an effective Virtual private server strategy.
– For your Service Level Agreement project, identify and describe the business environment. is there more than one layer to the business environment?
– What are internal and external Service Level Agreement relations?
– Who sets the Service Level Agreement standards?
Web service Critical Criteria:
Troubleshoot Web service issues and diversify by understanding risks and leveraging Web service.
– Expose its policy engine via web services for use by third-party systems (e.g. provisioning, help desk solutions)?
– How does this standard provide users the ability to access applications and services through web services?
– Does Service Level Agreement create potential expectations in other areas that need to be recognized and considered?
– What is the best strategy going forward for data center disaster recovery?
– Amazon web services is which type of cloud computing distribution model?
– How can you measure Service Level Agreement in a systematic way?
– How can we improve Service Level Agreement?
This quick readiness checklist is a selected resource to help you move forward. Learn more about how to achieve comprehensive insights with the Service Level Agreement Self Assessment:
Author: Gerard Blokdijk
CEO at The Art of Service | http://theartofservice.com
Gerard is the CEO at The Art of Service. He has been providing information technology insights, talks, tools and products to organizations in a wide range of industries for over 25 years. Gerard is a widely recognized and respected information expert. Gerard founded The Art of Service consulting business in 2000. Gerard has authored numerous published books to date.
To address the criteria in this checklist, these selected resources are provided for sources of further research and information:
Service Level Agreement External links:
What is a Service Level Agreement? | Palo Alto Networks
Service Level Agreement (SLA) for Masergy global services
[PDF]Standard Service Level Agreement Form
Call center External links:
[PDF]The Roles and Responsibilities of a Call Center Staff
Title Call Center Representative Jobs, Employment | Indeed.com
20 Best Call Center Title jobs (Hiring Now!) | Simply Hired
Carrier Cloud External links:
The VT Carrier Cloud = VeriTread = The Heavy-Haul …
Cloud computing External links:
Cloud Computing and Data Center Infrastructure as a Service
Microsoft Azure Cloud Computing Platform & Services
Dedicated servers External links:
Hivelocity: Dedicated Servers, Private Cloud & Colocation
Dedicated Servers – Web Hosting – Choopa.com
Game, Voice & Dedicated Servers – Streamline Servers
IT Service Management External links:
Remedy 9 – IT Service Management Suite – BMC Software
IT Service Management | Availability Management | Optanix
Remedyforce- IT Service Management and Help Desk – …
IT cost transparency External links:
Webinar – The Call for Healthcare IT Cost Transparency
Matrecis – IT Cost Transparency
Incumbent local exchange carrier External links:
Incumbent Local Exchange Carrier ANNUAL REPORT. TABLE OF CONTENTS Schedule No. TITLE OF SCHEDULE A General Corporate …
http://47 CFR 54.1302 – LII / Legal Information Institute
Information Technology Infrastructure Library External links:
Information Technology Infrastructure Library (ITIL)
ITIL Courses — Information Technology Infrastructure Library
Information Technology Infrastructure Library (ITIL) | …
Internet service provider External links:
IUNGO.NETWORK Global wireless internet service provider
NetWest Online, Inc – Premier Internet Service Provider
Internet Service Provider in Atlanta, GA | Google Fiber
Local area network External links:
What’s a Local Area Network? (LAN Definition) – Lifewire
How to Set up DHCP on a Local Area Network: 13 Steps
Maintenance window External links:
[PDF]15-13 SFT Maintenance Window Change
How to Set a Maintenance Window – technet.microsoft.com
Maintenance Window Policy – University of Nevada, Reno
Mean time between failures External links:
What is MEAN TIME BETWEEN FAILURES (MTBF)? …
Mean time to recovery External links:
MTTR (Mean Time to Recovery) – Tech-FAQ
IBM Redbooks | System z Mean Time to Recovery Best Practices
Mean time to repair External links:
Mean Time To Repair (MTTR) Maintenance | Fiix
Reduce MTTR (Mean Time to Repair): IT Operations …
Network monitoring External links:
Network monitoring software – PRTG | Paessler
AKIPS – Network Monitoring Software
APCON Intelligent Network Monitoring
Network service provider External links:
[PDF]DCYF and Family Care Network Service Provider …
Business MPLS Network Service Provider | CenturyLink
Contact New Jersey Copier Dealer & Network Service Provider
Operational-level agreement External links:
How to Write an Operational-Level Agreement | Chron.com
Performance metrics External links:
Enterprise Performance Metrics
Performance metrics and goals | Mass.gov
Service-oriented architecture External links:
Service-Oriented Architecture Summary | Accenture
Understanding Service-Oriented Architecture
Service Desk External links:
NIH IT Service Desk – Request for Service
CA Service Desk Manager – Login
Five Points Service Desk
Service level External links:
[PDF]TEMPLATE Service Level Agreement (1)
[DOC]Service Level Agreement (SLA) Template
[PDF]Service Level Agreement (SLA) Educationand E & O
Service level management External links:
Service level management – SearchMicroservices
Service Level Management – Cornell University
Configure Service Level Management | Microsoft Docs
Service level objective External links:
Defining a Service Level Objective Against an Application
TeamWorks Service Level Objective | State Accounting …
25 Examples of a Service Level Objective – Simplicable
Service level requirement External links:
ITIL Definition: Service Level Requirement
Service level requirement
http://In Software Development / IT, a Service Level Requirement (SLR) is a broad statement from a customer to a service provider describing their service expectations. A service provider prepares a service level agreement (SLA) based on the requirements from the customer. For example: A customer may require a server be operational (uptime) for 99.95% of the year excluding maintenance.
Shared hosting External links:
Shared Hosting Sign In – XMission
Web Hosting | Shared Hosting – Brain Host
PHP upload limits on shared hosting | GoDaddy Help US
Software quality External links:
EasyQA – TEST MANAGEMENT TOOL TO IMPROVE SOFTWARE QUALITY
Pillars of software quality | Microsoft Docs
Pacific NW Software Quality Conference – PNSQC
Telecommunications Act of 1996 External links:
The Telecommunications Act of 1996 | ShoreTel – …
Public Law 104 – 104 – Telecommunications Act of 1996
[PDF]TELECOMMUNICATIONS ACT OF 1996
Telephone company External links:
Vermont Telephone Company – Vermont Telephone Company
High Speed Internet | Margaretville Telephone Company
Home | Ringgold Telephone Company Inc.
Turnaround time External links:
Turnaround Time on Counties Searched – Sentry Title
http://In general, turnaround time means the amount of time taken to fulfill a request. In computing, turnaround time is the total time taken between the submission of a program/process/thread/task (Linux) for execution and the return of the complete output to the customer/user. It may vary for various programming languages depending on the developer of the software or the program.
[PDF]Turnaround Time Report – ARUP Laboratories
Virtual private server External links:
Since 1999, Cirrus Tech has been providing the best quality Virtual Private Server / VPS Hosting in Canada. Contact us to discuss your Server Hosting needs.
Orange Geek | Virtual Private Server Hosting
Virtual Private Server (VPS) Hosting – Evolve IP
Web service External links:
LDAPAuth Web Service – zcs.k12.in.us
MSU Police Web Service
RadioReference.com Web Service – The RadioReference …